What are the side effects of chiropractic?
What we hear from many patients is that there are unexpected benefits of chiropractic, so we will call them side benefits instead of side effects. Everyone understands that drugs have side effects. What many people do not realize is these side effects are often undesirable and sometimes lethal. Drugs all have effects, some predictable and some not…some wanted and some not.
During the course of a person’s initial care in our office many, if not all, receive relief from the concern or condition that caused them to seek our help in the first place. Once the initial healing phase of care is complete, almost all patients make the decision to take a few additional steps to strengthen and stabilize their system so that the health concern they originally consulted us for is far less likely to repeat.
Side Benefits of Chiropractic Care
During this phase of stabilization is when we most often hear of the side benefits of chiropractic care. Here is a partial list:
- Sleep Better– According to Sleep.org, one-third of people who received a chiropractic adjustment notice improvements in their sleep. They also noted that about 40% of infant’s parents notice significantly deeper sleep of their infant after one chiropractic adjustment. We know that sleep is effected by pain, a specific gentle adjustment can help reduce those symptoms.
- More Energy- Science has shown that reduced movement in the spine causes your body to use more energy. A study of runners showed that restriction in lower back motion caused more energy usage and higher issues with injury. If you want more energy, and not crash on the couch at the end of the night, look into chiropractic care.
- Relief From Other Aches and Pains- We know chiropractic works well for back pain and neck pain. The American College of Physicians, as a part of it’s 2017 guidlines, recommends chiropractic care for low back pain. Did you know that people also see relief from other areas of the body as well? At our chiropractic clinic in Littleton, CO, we help patients with many different joint or extremity pains. Not only do we see people have reduced pain, they also see decreased inflammation, improved range of motion and flexibility. Overall, people see an increased quality of life.
- Improved Digestion and Elimination- Your digestive system is controlled and coordinated by your nervous system. For example, the nerves coming out of your upper thoracic spine control how your stomach digests the food you eat. If there is interference in the communication of the nerves between your brain and your stomach, you may notice gas, bloating, indigestion or heart burn. In a 2005 study, chiropractic patients were asked what benefits they noticed from chiropractic care, one of the most common responses was improved digestion.
- Greater Clarity of Thought- In her book The Reality Check, Dr. Heidi Haavik discusses how the spine impacts how the brain interprets and organizes information. She also points out that chiropractic adjustments have an effect on your brains ability to change. If your spine is not moving properly, it can actually have a negative on your brain function.
- Improved Outlook and Attitude- This is probably an obvious side benefit of chiropractic care. When you are not longer in pain, can move better and enjoy a higher quality of life, your outlook and attitude have to change for the better.
- Fewer Colds and Improved Immune Function- There are many studies that show that chiropractic care boost your immune systems ability to function. We have summarized how chiropractic adjustments can boost your immune system by 200% in this article- What Does Science Say About Chiropractic and Immune System Function.
- Greater Stamina- Similar to the benefit of more energy, people can notice more stamina in doing physical activities. A study of Taekwondo athletes showed an increase in strength and duration when performing an activity.
- Decreased Need for Some Medications- When you connect the brain and the body via the nervous system with a chiropractic adjustment it can help many other systems of the body. We already talked about the digestive system and the immune system, but it can even help your circulatory system. A study performed at the University of Chicago in 2007 showed a specific adjustment to the top bone in your spine dropped patients blood pressure even compared to the group that took blood pressure medications. What medications do you think you don’t need? Maybe chiropractic can help you reduce or eliminate them.
- Better Overall Health- If you experience even a few of the benefits listed above, there is no doubt you will have better overall health in your life.
If, during the course of your care here, you experienced some or all of these side benefits, wouldn’t you want to maintain this higher level of overall health and well being? Most answer, “of course.” Health maintenance is available for all of our patients.
Please let others know some of the side benefits you have received by telling your story here – https://dodychiro.com/how-did-we-do/